What to Look for in a Treadmill
Like with such other equipment as elliptical trainers and stationery bikes, there are different models of treadmills that differ in many areas. It can indeed be a very difficult to choose a treadmill that best suits your exercise need. It therefore pays to read through different treadmill reviews to understand treadmill ratings. There are however specific factors that should allow you to pick just the best treadmill for running. If you really want to melt some calories, pick out one of the best weighted vests and put in a quick 30 on the treadmill. Oh you’ll be feelin that in the morning.
Two types of treadmills are available; manual and electric treadmills. Of the two, electric treadmills happen to be the most common and popular. Although manual treadmills tend to be much cheaper, they are only useful when your exercise need is that of walking and light jogs. Electric treadmills allow you to perform quality exercises.
You no doubt wish to buy a treadmill with superb performance and there are several issues to look at for the purpose of identifying the best home treadmill that will serve your exercise need.
- Track speed – You definitely want a treadmill that makes it possible for you run at high speed, depending on your age and health condition. You may choose to buy a treadmill with a top speed of 10 mph or 12 mph. Such treadmills are available in both medium and high price range.
- Incline – This is what determines how much calories you can burn in the shortest or longest period of time exercising. It is common to find best treadmills with between 10% and 15% incline. Note also that you are likely to find treadmills with either a small motor that automatically controls the incline or treadmills with manual adjustment control systems.
- Weight capacity – Most of the best treadmills have weight capacity between 250 and 400 pounds. It is always a good idea to buy a treadmill with weight capacity above your own weight. This has the positive effect of not putting too much pressure on the machine, in which case you will be able to use your machine for a long time.
- Track size – Track size is a very important issue to consider when shopping for the best home treadmill. Treadmill tracks can measure as low as 16 inches in width and 42 inches in length or as high as 42 inches in width and 62 inches in length. It is important to note that a small size both in width and length will only suit you in case your exercise need is that of walking.
You need to pick a treadmill with medium or big size both in width and length if your exercise need is that of running. You particularly need to pick one with the longest track just in case you happen to be tall.
- Motor – Motor treadmill ratings determine what amount of power a treadmill has and therefore how extensive it can be used for exercise. Generally, motors used on home treadmills have a power rating of between 1.25 horsepower and 4.0 horsepower. These are in most cases expresses as ‘CHP’, meaning continuous horsepower. Pick a treadmill with low horsepower 1.75-2.0 CHP) if your exercise need is that of walking and jogging. The best treadmill for running should have a motor rating of at least 3.0 CHP.
- Tread belt – A treadmill can have a one-ply, two-ply or 4-ply tread belt. One-ply tread belts are light, thin and therefore do not last long. On the other hand, 2-ply and 4-play tread belts turn out to be heavy, thicker and therefore durable.
- Track cushioning – This is something you need to consider when shopping for a treadmill. Track cushioning is very important since it helps in protecting your joints from resultant impact as you exercise. Indeed some of the top treadmills feature adjustable cushioning, allowing you to choose level of cushioning you need.
Rating On Amazon: 4.0
10″ Full-Color Touchscreen
3″ Balanced Rollers
iPod® Compatible Audio
Modern treadmills come with a good number of features that you need to consider when shopping for one. Indeed some of these features are valuable.
- Workout programs – Best treadmills for home come with pre-installed workout programs designed for different exercise needs. You can indeed find a treadmill with up to 15 workout programs with each program designed for a specific exercise need such as weight loss and endurance exercises. This is something you need to consider when shopping for a treadmill.
- Speed & Incline Controls – This is a very important issue to consider when shopping for a treadmill. It is important that you pick a treadmill whose speed and incline you can control with ease. This is particularly important in case you are aged or have a medical condition.
- Heart Rate Program – Your heart rate is very critical as you exercise using a treadmill. It is very important that you buy a treadmill with a heart rate program that makes it possible for you to monitor your heart rate, depending on your age and any health condition you may have.
- Progress tracking – There is nothing as great as being able to know whether or not you achieve any progress from your exercises using a treadmill. It is important that you pick a treadmill with a console through which you can access such vital data as exercise time, distance covered, exercise speed and amount of calories you burn.
- Extras – Different treadmills have different extra features that you need to put into consideration when shopping for one. While there are treadmills that only feature basic features, there are those that feature such features as speakers, touch screen with video capability, TV and interactive video workouts.
Safety is very necessary whether you exercise outdoors or use a treadmill. There is really no point of investing in a treadmill that puts you at risk of injury; you would otherwise be better off exercising outdoors on the road.
The good thing with best treadmills is that they come with important safety features such as auto-stop at a push of a button whenever you not something wrong.
It is highly recommended that you buy a treadmill with warranty. A manufacturer’s warranty serves to indicate that a treadmill is of good quality. You can indeed find a treadmill with 90-day warranty or lifetime warranty.
This is certainly on of the most important factors you will consider when shopping for a treadmill. It is important to indicate that it does not pay to buy a treadmill whose price is unbelievingly low. You may just be setting yourself up for disappointment and serious injuries during your training. If need be, save for a quality treadmill that is safe.
Treadmills are available in different dimensions. Your best pick will certainly be one that you will be able to store with ease. Note that you have the option of choosing a small, medium (standard) or a large treadmill.
You really need to make a decision on whether to buy a treadmill that will be stationery or one that you will be able to travel with and therefore portable. This is where you need to consider buying the best folding treadmill or not.
Depending on your exercise need, you will certainly find the best home treadmill that will serve you and probably the rest of your family members for a long time. It is important to note that buying a treadmill is really investing in your heath and that of your other family members. This is simply because the benefits that treadmills provide cannot be compared to amount of money you are likely to spend in buying one.